My mom was visiting/helping with the girls over the weekend. She likes to clear out unused toys, etc when she’s here yet somehow the decluttering always ends up bringing in more stuff…. this time she brought a heart-shaped muffin tin and a muffin maker. Sophia always gets excited about new things and was very eager to make something with the heart-shaped tin. All morning she kept asking me when we could make something with the muffin tin, waving it around in my face. I was finally able to get Savannah down for her morning nap and so we decided to bake. I found an allergy-friendly, vegan recipe for mini chocolate chip muffins that I adapted a little to fit what we had in the house. This was a fun project for us and they came out pretty good, too! The apple sauce keeps the batter pretty moist so I recommend cooking them closer to 12 minutes to make sure the consistency is right. Here’s what you need:
- 1.5 cups Bob’s Red Mill Baking Flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup and 1 tbps granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of melted earth balance spread
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- one pouch of Gogo squeeze apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of enjoy life mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease muffin tin (if you don’t have a heart-shaped tin just use a regular mini muffin tin). I used a little bit of the Earth Balance spread to grease the pan.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and cinnamon.
- In another small bowl, mix together the earth balance spread, coconut milk, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Add the wet and dry ingredients and mix well with a whisk or spoon. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a spoon to fill each muffin tin with about a tablespoon or so of batter. Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips.
Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from tin and let cool. Enjoy!